Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Falling Away...

Podcast available here

Falling from a CliffEver have the feeling you're falling away? The feeling that everything's hunky-dory, and suddenly you're no longer in touch with that which you hold most dear? I feel that way sometimes. I felt that way today. I felt as if suddenly I were thousands of miles from God's hand. I don't know when it happened; I don't recall drifting. But suddenly I was there, lonely and isolated from Him.

My wife and I discussed it some tonight. I had been caught up in an exciting new direction with our homeschooling and read voraciously anything I could find about the strategy. I had made plans to spend Labor Day with an old friend I hadn't seen in years. I had made plans to do a lot of things, and those exciting plans had kept me from the basics - reading God's Holy Word.

So, disconnected and alone, I began to feel that there were serious problems. When we discussed it earlier, she suggested I sing. Yeah, the last thing I wanted to do was sing. I didn't feel very close to God, and the songs just weren't in my heart. But she suggested I sing, so I did. I climbed in the shower (my favorite place to sing at home - plus it's far enough away from the girl's bedroom that I won't wake them! :) and began to sing my favorite song: "Our God, He is Alive". It's got a rich, strong bass line - and if you've heard my PodCasts, then you probably know where I sing...

It was weak at first, really only in my head. But as the cool water (this is summertime in Houston. I don't take hot showers!) fell on me, I began to sing His praises more robustly. I sang the song over and over again, until it poured out of my spirit - not just my mouth. I again felt that He is truly alive!

I had to come out and write about this experience. For, as it is written:
Be very careful, then, how you liveā€”not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Ephesians 5:15-20

I can't sing to you with these electronic words. But I can share with you the experience my singing brought me tonight.

He is TRULY Alive!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger NChitwood said…

    you are so right clay. God IS alive! so glad you had that "moment" in the shower. i love when that happens! by the way, thanks for linking me to you! :) i appreciate it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home