Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Good Friday's Comin'!

Galatians 2:17-21, NIV
"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"


Galatians 5:22-25, NIV
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.


Good Friday's coming. April 6 is Good Friday. Good Friday commemorates the day that our sin nailed Christ to the cross. Good Friday commemorates the day that we all died to sin and became holy in the eyes of our Heavenly Father. We need to take Good Friday literally. We need to die to sin, so that we may live in joy.

What is the source of our pain and suffering in this world? Sin. Even though we live in God's grace, sin hides Him from us. Without His light, we walk in the darkness. We need to find a way to get 'back to the garden' (thank you, Crosby Stills Nash and Young). This may be an old thing (I think that's what Lent is all about), but I propose we dispense with meaningless sacrifices (I'm not going to drink coffee for the next 40 days) and find true sacrifice - the sacrifice of self.

What does that mean? Quite simply - we need to die. We all need to die. We need to die to ourselves and be buried with Christ.

But remember - the story would be pointless if it ended there. It really began at the cross. Three days later, Christ walked out of that tomb. He (and many other saints in Jerusalem!) experienced resurrection. It's a resurrection that we can experience every day. "His compassions are new every morning." (Lamentations 3:23)

1 Corinthians 15:31, The Message
And why do you think I keep risking my neck in this dangerous work? I look death in the face practically every day I live. Do you think I'd do this if I wasn't convinced of your resurrection and mine as guaranteed by the resurrected Messiah Jesus? Do you think I was just trying to act heroic when I fought the wild beasts at Ephesus, hoping it wouldn't be the end of me? Not on your life!


So, it's not just about dying, it's about coming out of that death a better person.

Here's my challenge. Through April 6, dedicate yourselves daily to the Lord. Morning, noon, night - whenever's best for you. When you feel like it's crashing in, drop whatever it is you are doing and pray. No schedule is more important than your relationship with God.

Do you want to feel His presence daily? Begin now. And don't stop after Easter, keep it going all year long through next Easter and beyond. It's a daily renewal, not an annual one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home