Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm sorry if I've offended you....

These words have escaped my keyboard several times in the last few months. Why? Because there are things about which I'm passionate. I'm passionate about my relationship with my wife, my children and my God. I'm passionate about doing things right by those with whom I have a responsible relationship. That means I'm passionate about ensuring those relationships remain strong, regardless of what others may think or feel.

Truth is, I don't like to offend people. I used to enjoy doing it, but I've matured somewhat. I do things that people don't like. I associate with untouchables. I homeschool. I strive to please God - 'cuz he's the only one that matters.

The problem arises when something I'm passionate about steps on someone else's toes. Well, I honestly don't believe I'm doing anything wrong in most of my life. I'm doing what I feel led to do. Yeah, I make mistakes. Yeah, I slip and fall. I'm not perfect - nobody is. But I am working hard to live a life that will make God happy. I'm working hard to walk into His arms and hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

That means I'm going to associate with untouchables. That means I'm going to dare to tell people in my church they're not the only ones going to heaven. That means I'm going to the prison and talk to the murderers and rapists and thieves. That means I'm going to talk to those all the 'righteous' have labeled sinners. (Hey - I've got news for you - I'm a sinner, too!)

Christ associated with untouchables. "My Jesus...spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars" Thanks to Todd Agnew - "My Jesus". Christ didn't like the religious folk of His day. And don't forget that they're the ones that put Him on a cross.

I'm also going to homeschool. There are so many things wrong with this country, and it seems like we're only getting worse. I wish it were just teaching evolution and the occasional pot-head in class like it was in the 70s. No, today there are 11-year-olds hosting sexual drug orgies. Today there are a handful of adults who won't tell your kids they're stupid for believing in God. Today they are forced to learn about Islam and Hinduism and Buddhism while speaking of the Lord will get you suspended.

It's all in the name of pluralism. "Everything's OK. There is no absolute truth." Pluralists teach us that if we love each other then we must be tolerant of their actions, regardless of what we know to be true from scripture.

So the neighbor kid is taught that it is perfectly normal for Heather to have two mommies, and that there is no difference between Christianity and Buddhism and ancient Greek paganism. She is taught that if it feels good, that is what you should do. She is taught that no matter what she does, she is still a good person.

I don't want this to be taught to my kids. I don't want my kids to come home one day and tell me that I'm an idiot because I pray to God. I don't want my kids to come home one day and tell me that I'm old-fashioned about sex because the teacher told them it's okay to experiment with people from both sides. This is why I homeschool.

I believe I am to "Train up a child in the way she should go". I also believe that not everyone is able to do this, and those people need to find suitable alternatives to public school. I also believe that many people are afraid to try it - and would find that it is much easier than they think.

I've rambled. I'm sorry if I've offended you. I'm not sorry for what I said.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On one hand, you want to identify with the Jesus who tolerated everybody except the religious right of his day. On the other hand, you don't want to have your kids learn about views that don't line up with the religious right of our day. Maybe it is through these public schools that you can teach your children what it means to have unconditional love, without compromising their beliefs.

    That is, if you really want to be associated with this Jesus guy. I wonder who Jesus would have been with: Heather's two mommies, or those so willing to throw the first stone at them and condemn them?

    I'm not trying to offend, either; I'm just pushing back a little.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger ClayMan said…

    I understand what you're saying.

    I want my kids to be ready to face the world before I send them out in it. You wouldn't send someone into combat without some sort of training first, and this is combat. They are fighting for their very souls.

    We will, when they are older, begin to face the world togeher. And when we start out, I will be by their side like any good commander. I won't turn them loose into the world as privates or even corporals.

    Oh - and Jesus did not tolerate everybody. He loved everybody regardless of their lifestyle. He told the woman caught in adultery, "Go and sin no more". He didn't tell her it was OK for her to continue in her life of adultery. And we don't know if she continued or not. We do know that many who met Him face-to-face changed their ways, like Matthew the Tax Collector, Saul the Persecutor and others.

    I have friends who are homosexual. Though I am their friend, I do not condone their lifestyle. I want to introduce them to the One who took away my alcoholism and bipolar disorder, so they may learn of a greater love than they have ever experienced. Then it's up to them whether or not they want to know Him. I will not, however, dissociate with them because they are "sinners". I am one, too.

    You cannot win anyone to Christ with condemnation or hatred. You cannot win anyone to Christ with stones. But, neither can you face the world until you are ready.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Clay,

    As I have said before, I think it is great that you have chosen to homeschool. I will do what I can to support you in that. I think we get into trouble when we start thinking that EVERYONE should.

    Remember the old saying - "There is more than one way to skin a cat." I think that also applies to Christians and how they interpret 'train up a child in the way he should go'. I would propose that there is more than one way for Christians to educate kids, and to vote for that matter - but that's for another day.

    Sincerely,
    your Christian friend whose kids will go to public school AND love Jesus, Melanie :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home