Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

More on being offensive

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.
- Proverbs 17:9, NIV


Today I installed the cool new Flash Verse of the day tool from Bible Gateway. And, the first verse that popped up was Solomon's comment on my last blog entry. Whoa.

I've been offensive, and I've repeated the matter. That's why I have to keep saying "I'm sorry if I've offended you". But if I'm passionate about something, shouldn't I stick to my guns?

Those to whom I referred in the last post, are people I consider to be close friends. Have I separated them? When I told a good friend we were going to homeschool, he said, "Some of our neighbors homeschool. They're really weird." Well, i certainly hope I'm not weird. But there's something about this that offends people. I'm going to find out why.

When I told my wife about the response I'm getting from folks, she said, "Maybe you're coming off stronger than you think you are. If one person thinks you are pushing homeschooling on everyone, it's likely their problem. If more than one person thinks you are doing it, then you may be doing it."

I'll be honest. I've read and re-read what I've posted - I honestly don't think it is pushing homeschooling on anyone who doesn't want to participate. But since more than one person believes it does, then I'm ready to face the facts and say, "I guess it does." Well, here are the facts I've dug up:

I guess I'm a recruiter. Two military recruiters hooked me about 20 years ago. I signed up with both the Marines and the Navy. I wound up doing the time with the Navy, and I'm glad I served. But neither of these recruiters came to me. I went to both of them seeking something more in my life. When they offered me something, I bit.

I'm the same way about homeschooling. Someone comes to me with a problem they're having in the public school system, and I do what I've always done when someone asks me about any problem: I provide a possible solution from my own experience. Lately, here in Texas, there's been a lot of talk about the Governor's mandate that all schoolgirls be vaccinated against a sexually-transmitted disease. I personally campaigned for Carole Strayhorn and against Rick Perry because I don't like what he stands for. But he was re-elected anyway, and look what we have now. (What would it require to see if money exchanged hands?) My answer to the dilemma: I'm glad I homeschool. And those of you who have problems with this need to either take it up with the state government (recall Perry!) or get your kids into somewhere that they won't be affected by this order. If you choose to homeschool, I'll be here to help you along. If you choose another method, I don't know anything about it.

This is like offering advice on a car. I drive a Honda and a Saturn - both of which have over 100K miles on them. I've enjoyed both cars, and I am a strong supporter of both makes. Now, if you come up to me and ask me which car I recommend, I'd recommend either a Honda or a Saturn. But if you come up to me and ask me about a Dodge, I'll refer you to my folks. If you ask me about a Ferarri, I'll say, "I don't know anything about them - but they sure do look hot!"

Education is the same way. I can offer advice only about what I know. That is homeschooling. The Marine recruiter couldn't tell me anything about the Air Force, Army or Navy, except that he considered them all wimps. The Navy recruiter had the same dilemma.



I'm sorry if I've offended you.
I'm sorry if what I've said has hit you wrong.
I am passionate about homeschooling in the same way I'm passionate about the church. I believe it works, and I believe it is the right thing for most people. I also believe it is much easier than most want to admit. Yeah, it gets in the way of your personal dreams (believe me, I know that!) but the reward is worth it. If you don't think it's for you, that's fine. I'm honestly very happy for you. And, if you come back to me with another problem in the public school system, I'll tell you that I don't have to deal with that because I homeschool. Some friends of mine would say they don't have to deal with that because their kids are in private school.

I will try to watch my tone when I speak. I do not want to be offensive. Please understand, though, that this is important to me. And yes, I plan to homeschool through high school.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was not at all offended - just to clear that up!(smile) I am also not opposed to home school. I also think that you do have to be passionate about such a commitment to see it through, so I understand your passion.

    I responded simply to show another perspective, based on your sentence:
    "I also believe that not everyone is able to do this, and those people need to find suitable alternatives to public school."

    Since having my two kids I have had to face some adversity, ironically enough, usually from other Christians. Phrases like, "Good mothers should stay at home with their children", "Good mothers don't use bottles", etc, etc, etc. really get on my nerves. Probably because what is right for one family may not be right for another.

    I need to work several days a week. My husband works full time. We cannot afford private school. So, what for us? We want to be good Christian parents too, and I believe we are.

    That was my point. I enjoy your blog - keep the thoughts coming.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home