Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Blindness

"I once was blind, but now I see"
- John Newton, Amazing Grace

"I can see much clearer now I'm blind"
- Dream Theater, Take the Time

Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."
Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What? Are we blind too?"
Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.
- John 9:39-41, NIV

What is Spiritual Blindness? How can we know if we are blind or if we see? What is the meaning of the riddle in John 9? Why did I pick this topic today? Why do they call it a freeway when it costs a million dollars per mile?

I can safely say that I believed I could see until I realized that I was blinded to the truth. The world has a definition of blindness that is diametrically opposed to God's. When one can "see," according to the world, they are blind, according to God. They are unable to align themselves to God's law. They begin to serve the almighty dollar and leave the Almighty God behind. Obeying the two great commandments, "Love God first, love everybody else second" makes you a "Jesus Freak" according to the world. And who wants to be labeled a freak?

But once I discovered that I was truly blind, then I could see Christ. I could see where He wants me. Of course, I kept losing sight of Him and His blessing, but it does get easier to come back. It's kinda like looking at the stars. I live in a large city. I can get around just fine, day or night, because there's so much light. But I can only see a select few very bright stars at night. Get me out of the city, away from the lights, I can't see where I'm going. But I can see the stars.

Spiritual blindness is the same thing. You have to forgo this world in order to see Heaven. My goal in life is to be blind to my heart's desires, seeking only to fulfill God's desires. Once I can achieve this, I know my heart will be truly satisfied.

Prayer:

Almighty Father in Heaven, hear our prayer. We come blind into your courts, seeking sight. The desires of this world have blinded us to your Kingdom. Desire for a bigger house, a better car, a faster computer, a nicer TV... These desires have taken such root in our spiritual eyes that we can no longer see You.

Show us your Glory! Show us your Majesty! Bring us back to your courts, your subjects - no, your children. Heirs to your throne. Bring us full circle back into your grace!

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity we have. Thank you for crucifying our old selves and restoring purity in our lives.

In Jesus Christ's Holy Name we pray,
Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home