Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Quran Left at my Door

I have always wondered what the other faiths believed. Well, at least beyond the basics. I'll be the first to admit I know little about faiths, though I know a little more about Christianity than I do the others. I was going to write what I thought were the basics, but decided against it. I would only be showing all the world exactly how ignorant I am of the rest of the world. I welcome any input to teach me - in common layman's terms - what the rest of the world believes.

To that end, someone dropped a gift at my front door. Actually, they put it in a bag and hung it on my doorknob along with instructions to treat it with the respect any holy scripture deserves. It was delivered by the "Book of Signs Foundation", and the English translation was approved by AL-AZHAR, ISLAMIC RESEARCH ACADEMY, GENERAL DEPARTMENT FOR RESEARCH, WRITING & TRANSLATION, Cairo, Egypt and the PUSAT ISLAM in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

My wife asked, "What do you want to do with it?"

I replied, "I don't know."

I thumbed through the introduction which asked that we not throw it away if we don't want it, simply pass it along to someone who might. I've already found that person and he will have it on Sunday.

I'll admit that I'm curious. I know it was passed along with the intent to proselytize. And I know it's my job to return the favor. But how?

First, I'm reminded of I John 5:10-12:

Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
. I have the testimony in my heart. I know what God has done in my life and what I believe He can do in the lives of others. I can readily share that -- when prompted by the Spirit.

But in reading I John, I see that "Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son." Does this mean I am to condemn others who don't believe as I do? Do I condemn those who have trained as earnestly in their faith (maybe even more so) as I? Had I been in a different place, perhaps I would believe as they do.

To this end, I'm reminded of Paul's address to the Athenians on Mars Hill. Rather than condemn them, Paul appealed to their common ground.

Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.
Paul did not condemn them, rather he appealed to their intellect. He praised them for their faith.

I thank the Book of Signs Foundation for their leaving the Quran at my door. I wish I had been available to receive it in person. I see it as a gift from one who loves me and desires to see that I live my life in a manner pleasing to Allah. For that, I truly thank you. You are, in a sense, bolder than I. You don't mind knocking on a stranger's door.

However, I feel that I must respectfully decline your offer. I will present this English translation of the Quran to an Elder at my church who has expressed interest in studying it. Rest assured that it will be handled with the respect due any holy scripture, including my own copy of the Holy Bible.

I will also offer up a prayer that you may come to know and have a relationship with the man you call the Greatest Prophet; the man I call Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior. I also pray that your acceptance of the messiah will not drive a wedge into your family.

In this light, I would like to open a respectful dialogue with people from other faiths. By respectful, I mean an exchange of information without an attempt to proselytize, or argue. This is not a challenge. I have no desire to debate about these ideals of faith, nor do I claim to have all the answers regarding my own. I simply wish to talk about it.

Prayer:

Almighty Heavenly Father, I come into your presence in awe and wonder at the works of your hands - the majesty of your spoken Word. I come in thanks for all you have done for the world, for your Church, for my family and for me - the saving work of your Son.

Father, grant my request: that people of all the world may sit down and talk about themselves and their faith - or lack thereof. That some of us may come to an understanding of why, and how.

Father, I also ask that you enrich my heart as I embark on this mission. Protect me from anger and jealousy as you did Paul on Mars Hill. Help me to achieve a meaningful understanding of the people in this world.

In Christ's Holy Name I pray,
Amen.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unfortunately Clay, if you would have read the Quran, you would have seee the Muslims are not as tolerant. You can't change. if your parents are Muslim, you are born a Muslim, & the penalty is DEATH to try to leave, I.e. convert to Christanity. There are lots of other things that pretty crazy in that so-called religeon. You can read more: http://www.islam-watch.org/index.html
    http://www.answering-islam.org/
    http://www.rim.org/muslim/islam.htm
    http://www.prophetofdoom.net/
    http://www.apostatesofislam.com/
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/ (VERY EXPLICIT)
    http://www.faithfreedom.org/
    http://www.exmuslim.com/
    Now i'm saying you should hate them, just be aware of thier true feelings & beware of tier tue intentions. Read this:
    http://www.caliphate.eu/
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0510/p01s04-wome.html
    Thats what they want for the whole world.
    http://www.mappingsharia.us/
    http://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/
    After 9/11 everyone needs to be aware.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home