Healing Power

Running commentary on how Jesus' Healing Power is affecting my life - and helping me to help others.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Faith - What is it?

Faith

noun: 1. The name of a country music singer - Faith Hill.
2. 1/3 the name of my favorite forum (FHL Forums).
3. An oxymoron in a political session: “Faith-based Initiative”
4. Something you absolutely and completely believe and for which you are willing to risk your very life.

This blog entry refers to number 4 above.

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. All people, including me, exercise faith every day in nearly every activity. People have faith that the police are the good guys. People have faith that the government really is here to help them - and that their votes actually do count. (Disclaimer: I am going to vote in November - this is not an excuse not to vote!) People have faith that the vehicles on the road are going to do what they expect them to do.

I'll give you an illustration of that last one. Several years ago, when my oldest daughter was about two, I was driving over a huge overpass, the top layer of a four-layer intersection. For those of you familiar with Houston, it is where I-610 and US-59 intersect near the Galleria. Since I was on a freeway and the traffic was fairly clear, I was moving at about 70 miles per hour. I had complete faith that when I got to the other side of the crest, the traffic would still be fairly clear.

I was wrong. And after I tapped the car in front of me at about 10 mph, my daughter yelled "FUN!"

All of life requires us to put our faith in something. And all of us, whether you are a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Jew or Atheist, put our faith in something regarding the afterlife. You either have faith that your belief is correct or that your non-belief is correct. Even the Agnostics and Apathetics have faith that their indecision will not hurt them.

This thought leads me to say that all political initiatives are, indeed “faith-based”. Without faith, political initiatives will not even take shape. Someone has to believe they will work in order to be started.

I ask you to consider these ideas regarding faith. What are your thoughts? Let me know - either by comment to this blog or by e-mail to claysramblings@gmail.com if you wish to remain anonymous.
I look forward to hearing from you!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home